The parishes of St John the Baptist and St Peter Chesil were located outside of Winchester proper, in the area east of the River Itchen known as ‘the Soke’, which was under the control of the bishop, rather than the city. In the sixteenth century, St John’s frequently held kingales like those of the rural parishes further north in the county. In 1621 the court of Quarter Sessions prohibited ‘vnlawfull games’, dancing and the like on the Sabbath in that parish (see the Winchester records for that year).
Winchester had three churches dedicated to St Peter. St Peter Chesil (or’Cheesehill’) was identified by its position at the base of the hill just east of the city. The churchwardens’ accounts tell of the church ‘drinking’ that the parish held in the 1570s.